Saturday, December 03, 2005

Morphed Librarian





Many older librarians have found that their jobs have changed since they graduated from library school many ages ago....When I was getting my degree the Internet was not available to us. We had computer access by creating a query using punched cards or tape (telex machine). We've come along way and it's been fun for me to be a part of it.

In 1980 or so, I purchased an Atari 800 and signed on to the Source, CompuServe, and other online resources. It was a great way to educate myself and keep up with changes in the profession. Since then I've tinkered with the major operating systems and now have a wireless LAN at home.

My jobs have changed over time: reference assistant, young adult librarian, interlibrary loan assistant, head of reference, technology trainer, and virtual reference librarian.

I love showing people how to use technology to educate themselves and locate quality information. It's been a great journey!

I'll be posting information on what I've been trying and reading as far as using technology in libraries goes.

I recently returned from the VRD Conference in San Francisco and am raring to go with some of the ideas I brought back: librarians on location, using tablet pcs while roaming, IM the Librarian, etc.

Stay tuned for updates on how we implement these ideas!

No comments: